This episode features important insights from my great friend Robert Mattson. He is a musician, playwright, coach, consultant and storyteller. He is a brilliant person who helps others find their voice. We will dive into how to build impactful stories around people analytics.
I hope you enjoy this episode and I am looking forward to your input and feedback.
So why would we as an HR podcast, bring on a storyteller as a guest? Robert Mattson is here today to talk about making your data turn from seemingly meaningless numbers into something intriguing, persuasive, and memorable. Robert is a business and sales coach known for helping people craft stories that capture the attention of the audience. Goal-driven storytelling elevates your story and enables your message to go viral within an organization.
So let’s jump right in and learn from the master himself how to share data like telling a story that is compelling and memorable.
[00:01 – 08:35] Opening Segment
- Let’s get to know Robert Mattson
- Robert gives some background on himself
- How storytelling helps communicate your data; the science
[08:36 – 12:45] The Importance of Storytelling in Data
- How to leverage storytelling to connect with your audience
- Getting closer to the target without being the expert; Is, Does, Means model
[12:46 – 19:29] Crafting a Compelling Story
- The structure you can put in place to build good stories
- Intro – Intrigue, Middle – Persuasion, End – Recall/Remember
- How credibility comes into play; Show don’t tell
[19:30 – 27:26] Sharing the Story Effectively
- The tools to tell a good story
- The challenges we face as HR
- How to avoid distractions
[27:27 – 29:18] Closing Segment
- Summarizing our discussion today
- Final Words
- “It’s not about what you know, it’s about how you’re trying to change the thinking of other people.” – Robert Mattson
- “If you give me a piece of data, 3 days later I have a 5% chance of remembering it. If you tell me a story, 3 days later I have a 70% chance of remembering.” – Robert Mattson
- “I’ve learned that people will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel.” – Maya Angelou
Connect with Robert on LinkedIn. Visit https://www.itmspeakers.com to learn more about his work.
Connect with me:
This show is brought to you by Turetsky Consulting LLC, our company providing business consulting on Analytics, HR Processes, and Rewards with a focus on getting answers that organizations need by demystifying People Analytics.
Did you love the value that we are putting out in the show? LEAVE A REVIEW + Share this episode with like-minded people who can benefit from this content.
Support the show (https://www.buymeacoffee.com/hrdatalabs)