Today, Dino Zincarini and I talk to our friend Ian Cook from Visier. We talk about our issues with Job Titles and what’s new to help make them more helpful. I hope you have as much fun listening as we did in recording this episode.
Whatever happened to job titles and what do they even mean anymore? In this episode I am welcoming back Dino Zincarini and Ian Cook to talk about the why job titles are important and how the job table is changing.
Dino, as you may remember, is an HR Technologist and Principal Consultant who works with me at Turetsky Consulting, while Ian is VP of People Analytics at Visier.
Now that you have Dino and Ian’s job titles in mind, let’s dive into today’s topic; are job titles dead… Long live job titles!
[00:01 – 01:42] Opening Segment
- We welcome back Ian Cook and Dino Zincarini
- Introduce today’s topic
[03:43 – 10:58] There is a Long History of Job Titles; What are They Used For?
- Ian talks about the issues at the job table and why it’s important
- Dino talks about the changes in the job titling model
- The boundaries around jobs are becoming fluid
[10:59 – 19:53] Why THIS is the Time to Talk About Job Architecture and Titling
- Ian talks about the triggers that are starting this conversation
- The issue of compliance and possible solutions
- Tools, resources, and consulting
[19:54 – 34:02] The Future of Job Titles; Do We Need Them?
- Dino talks about the consistent need to brand your work
- Looking past the job titles to the person, but using the standardization
- How to prepare for changes in job titling and its fluidity
[34:03 – 27:20] Closing Segment
- Summary of our conversation
- Final Words
- “That interest to give people a sense of uniqueness through title or through a new job you’re adding, really clashes with the harmonization of the architecture of the jobs that need to have some way of being compared internally.” – Ian Cook
- “The more we try to use data, the more we want to standardize it, yet the more we want to have things proliferate, the more it becomes differentiated… there’s no one right answer.” – Dino Zincarini
- “The faster you think about it, come up with a plan or a strategy and maybe even the technology to support this divergence in the branding of jobs and the standardization… the sooner you can come up with a plan on how you’re going to manage that – the better.” – Dino Zincarini
Connect with Dino on LinkedIn.
Connect with Ian on LinkedIn. Visit https://www.visier.com/ to learn more about Ian’s space.
Connect with me:
This show is brought to you by Turetsky Consulting LLC, our company providing business consulting on Analytics, HR Processes, and Rewards with a focus on getting answers that organizations need by demystifying People Analytics.
Did you love the value that we are putting out in the show? LEAVE a review on your podcast streaming service or in a comment below.